shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

1.21.2005

letter to the editor no. ?

So, I haven't done the Friday letters to the editor thing since, well, since I said I was going to and posted a few. Here's two from the Anchorage Daily News:

Kids, parents are getting fed up with local school lunch menus

My son in eighth grade asked me, "Dad, since when do a slice of pizza and cookie make a complete meal?"

A quick glance at the Anchorage School District lunch menu reveals similar choices. The menu selections at Chugiak High School are no better: poor a la carte menu balanced by the fast food Subway restaurant.

As a recent member of this community, I am demanding a wider selection and more nutritious lunch menus for my children. I am urging other parents and concerned citizens to hold ASD officials accountable.

As a recent military transplant from Mississippi, I am glad that the rigorous academics here are benefitting my children. Sadly, I am equally disheartened with the poor quality of school lunches here, especially when compared to Mississippi, a state notorious for its poverty.

My son implored me to do something, so I am writing this letter.

I humored my son with a quip that maybe Sen. Ted Stevens appropriated a few million dollars in the federal budget for improving the ASD lunch menu!

In light of recent emphasis on revising the federal food pyramid and problems of childhood obesity, ASD officials need to improve the quality of lunches sold in our district schools.

Poor nutrition cannot lead to superior performance!

---- Saket Ambasht

Eagle River


AND:

Actually, Scripture reveals Jesus did warn of hell on numerous occasions

I would like to respond to Chris Luth ("The corruption of Jesus' message by some churches, Jan. 11"). He, along with Clyde Baxley, Dec. 23 said, "True biblical Christianity isn't about threatening people with hell." Evidently, they have not read the Bible.

Jesus Christ is quoted in Matthew 5:29-30: "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell." (New King James.)

Sounds to me like Jesus Christ, the founder of "true Christianity," is warning people about hell.

The word "hell" is used at least 22 times in the New Testament. Jesus talked more about hell than he did about heaven. Any church that does not teach about hell is not following the teachings of Jesus Christ (true Christianity). Jesus was not popular for talking about hell. In fact, he was crucified. Should we, who warn people about hell like Jesus did, expect to be treated any differently?

---- Jerry Prevo

Anchorage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home