shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.28.2005

happy mail

Today, an issue of F&SF* with THREE stories by women in it (and one of them M. Rickert, yay!). And also, a package from Unbridled Books containing Deborah Noyes' first novel Angel and Apostle, which looks amazing. I thought the Noyes-edited YA anthology Gothic! was excellent. The people at Unbridled seem to have uniformly wonderful, interesting taste that drives what they publish; I am becoming a huge fan.

Good mail day.

*They haven't actually updated the website yet, doesn't look like.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM , Blogger Matthew Cheney said...

    I hope the F&SF folks don't think that publishing three stories by women in the new issue makes up for the fact that they've published three issues this year where all of the fiction is by men.

     
  • At 6:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What you said. It's really a shame.

     
  • At 6:40 PM , Blogger Matthew Cheney said...

    I suppose I could be really mischievous and bring the topic up at the F&SF message board, but I can predict what many of the responses would be, and am nauseated just thinking about it. Oh well. I still like the magazine. Your phrase for it is best: A shame.

     
  • At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I actually told Gordon shame to his face at the Nebs. He didn't disagree. (But I forgot my tirade about DeLint's "Dean Koontz's Dog" Books to Look For column.)

    Maybe I will start the SF mag monthly gender watch. I keep toying with the idea.

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Dave said...

    G, I felt bad when I realized that nearly all the stories in Dogtown #2 were by men; but I comforted myself with the fact that all but one of the stories in issue #1 were by women.

    I think you should start the monthly gender watch. Keeps 'em honest.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home