shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.22.2005

it's dark out there

... and hot and full of fireflies.

Anyway. Time for another not-very-satisfactory post.

I suggest melatonin 3 mg -- sometime ago, someone asked about melatonin in the comments and I forgot to answer. (I believe it may have been Jimmy Beck, but I will not swear on Bible nor Book of Mormon nor The Satanic Verses that it was so.) The answer is that melatonin is lovely and it will put you straight to sleep, give you the best sort of vivid dreams (which in my head often involve trips on airplanes with '70esque, action adventure plots or to strange cities or, occasionally, running through the rough country pursued by monsters). The little tablets don't seem to conflict with a drink or two, at least not to any disturbing extent and, most importantly, do not make you feel like a zombie the next morning. At least not any more than usual.

The responsiveness to the Golden Retriever's need to go outside also indicates you will not die in a blazing inferno due to melatonin.

So, there's that.

If you didn't look at these pictures the first time I linked them, you really should. I keep looking at them and am becoming more and more jealous at only seeing the images and not the giant girl and her elephant. In contrast to my innate distrust of DVD extras, I actually am particularly fond of the shots that show the people working them.

Who is your Own Personal Mutant? (I mean, as a writer.) (And dibs on the original -- or at least Claremont vintage -- Storm.)

Now, to sleep, to dream. 3 mgs worth.

p.s. I've been reading lots of things that I'm still thinking over and am not quite sure what I think of, at least not enough to talk about them -- like Teach Me by R.A. Nelson. But soon.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I tried melatonin, but I'm a pretty hardcore insomniac and it really did little for me. Takes me about 5 Tylenol PMs when the insomnia is really kicking in, but that does the trick, and takes care of headaches.

     
  • At 6:00 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    I'm not usually insomniac, but I'm just not naturally geared to go to sleep as early as I have to for the schedule that brings in the paycheck. But I still need eight hours. The melatonin works pretty well. I did find that when we were using a lower dosage, it didn't work at all, and that if I did wake up, there was no way I could get back to sleep.

    Five Tylenol PMs, huh? You're like a bear being hit with a tranq gun, Jeff.

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Are you sure you weren't also being dosed with natural medicines by the little old lady next door ala Rosemary?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home