shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.18.2005

wednesday hangovers

  • Back when everyone was up in arms over Orson Scott Card's views on gay marriage, I really, really, really wanted to point to John Kessel's brilliant takedown of the morality showcased in Ender's Game. Well, it's finally online. Highly recommended. (Via the lovely and talented Schwartz.) (I could mention here that one of the polaroids on my desk, a constant source of inspiration, really, is me and Kelly and Barb and Karen and John-in-a-Toga-for-a-Good-Cause, along with other Toga Guy. It was taken at last year's Wiscon. Good times.)

It's a little sad that one of the inventions I'd most enjoy -- on a purely comfort, pleasure level, if we preclude life-preserving, world-saving types of things from this exercise -- is a TV time machine. It would, for instance, go into the future and bring back new episodes of Gilmore Girls. Maybe even produce them after the series ends.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:23 PM , Blogger Dave said...

    I may lose my street cred (all together now: "What street cred?") for saying this, but I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and will totally see the movie. Thanks, in fact, for reminding me that I have the sequel around here somewhere.

    (I'm comfortable with the "lovely and talented" tag, BTW. But I'm not sure about "Schwartzy" . . .)

     
  • At 7:26 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    What's the morality of adding a y onto the end of someone's last name on a whim? The next great essay. (See, now I have to leave it or the comments won't make any sense.)

     
  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    (Okay, okay. I relented. But for about ten seconds there you were Old Man Schwartz.)

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Dave said...

    Heh. I didn't mean you had to change it, just that it caused a brief identity crisis.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home