shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.16.2005

monday hangovers

(Yes, I'm cheating.)

A few linksies for your cup of coffee/tea.

For example, Gwenda, who doesn't read books she doesn't want to and always finishes one book before starting another one, might be a fiercely loyal friend who doesn't brook any nonsense from people she doesn't like.
  • Christopher's continuing the "What's it about?" series of profiles of contributions and contributors to the coming Say... issue (currently at the printer). Yesterday he profiled Craig Gidney. He'll be doing these most days up to Wiscon.
  • Jeff reports that Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, a documentary following musician Jim White as he tours the South with his ceramic Jesus, has gotten a distributor and will begin showing in the U.S. in June. I heart Jim White. Very happy at this news. Jeff has all the goods. The one Jim White live show I went to was on his tour for the awesomely brilliant No Such Place and he was thrilled at the reception the band got. The night before in Cincinnati had been less than a bust, with the few people at the show throwing loose change at the stage and heckling the band throughout the set. Buckeyes. (Kidding.)
I suppose the best Oscar show is always the one that hasn’t happened yet.

Happy Monday.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM , Blogger Justin Steiner said...

    Thank you, Justine. Yes, I am merely a Justin and as far as I know I've been a boy all my life. :) And thanks for the link, Gwenda.

     
  • At 12:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw Wrong-Eyed Jesus at TriBeCa last year and thought it was great. Beautifully shot, especially for a freakin' documentary, with musical interludes and strange characters and compelling landscapes galore. And Jim White did a live performance, too, which I suppose sadly most moviegoers will miss. The one sour note in the whole thing was the filmakers' highly condescending attitudes towards their subjects during the Q&A. Lots of "these people are stupid, look how curious and awful," in a very British accent. That was sad. But it doesn't really show through in the film itself, which is good. So. Most def check it out.

     
  • At 5:26 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Justine and Justin: It's because I was just writing Justine an email before I posted that. Force of habit. Thx for the catch!

    Meghan: I am very, very jealous that you've seen the doc, but appreciate the rec. It's too bad condescending Brits are involved.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home