shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.08.2005

anne rice is fbc

Besides the cute haircut, the main attraction in this week's EW is a letter from Anne Rice which will be sent out with ARCs of her new novel. I reproduce it below (and wait for EW's lawyers to contact me). There seem to be some bits cut out by EW:

Dear Reader,

For over ten years I've wanted to do this book--Jesus in his own words. For five years I've been obsessed with how to do it, and for the last three years I've been consumed with nothing else.

The ultimate questions, the ones distilled from a thousand others, were so obvious as to be frightening. What did it feel like to be Jesus? What did it feel like to be God and Man as a child? ... In all my career, I don't think I've ever faced such a daunting task. And there were moments when I came near to giving up. I prayed. I asked for guidance. I scrapped hundreds of pages. At moments, I was on the verge of accepting that perhaps I couldn't do what had to be done here...

I'm not a priest. I can't be one. I'll never be able to go to the altar of the Lord and say the words of consecration at Mass, "This is my body. This is my blood." No, I can't work that magnificent Eucharistic miracle. But in humility, I have attempted something transformative which we writers dar to call a miracle in the imperfect human idiom we possess. It's to bring Him here in the form of a story, and that story is Christ The Lord.

Sincerely,

Anne Rice


It reminds me of nothing so much as Query Letter #4 over here.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh, for Jesus' sake...

    At some point should we expect a scene w/ Jesus and Lestat sharing a cup of blood together?

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    I'm kind of loving the idea of Anne Rice as Jesus and Courtney Love as Lestat.

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Blogger Janni said...

    Right--I'm going to take this as a reminder not to tell anyone else at any length how much I agonized over a book, because it's only a way of telling the reader how awful the final product probably is.

     
  • At 6:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a good one, Gwenda. Interesting fact: At one time Courtney and Anne both lived in the Garden District in New Orleans. Trent Reznor lived there also, so we may have found a Judas.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home