shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

1.13.2005

the sad truth

When the girl is getting her stuff done, she is very, very dull the rest of the time. I really have nothing of interest that I feel like tapping tapping about here. Finished proofing two stories for a friend last night and now they're winging their way somewhere. Started reading a manuscript for another friend and am enjoying it so much I can only begin to look forward to lots of other people having read it eventually so we can all talk about it. Oh yeah, and have been breaking the quota. Tap tapping. The new book is going well. Or at least, it feels like it is.

It's odd, structure is one of the things I feel most comfortable with. Structure, pacing, plot. And this book is doing all sorts of fun little things, wiggling in odd directions, and so far, I'm letting it. Anyway, it's going. Which is nicer than when it stops dead.

Stray quotations:

"When the last dime is gone, I'll sit on the curb outside with a pencil and a ten-cent notebook, and start the whole thing over again." -- Preston Sturges

"I prefer the errors of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom." -- Anatole France

"There's almost never been a movie made that couldn't benefit from its ending being a tentative affirmation. Because what else is there, really? Anything more than that feels too pat. If it's less than that, it feels unsatisfying." -- Ted Tally

"It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass." -- Eudora Welty

(quotes courtesy of procastinatory time sink Wordplayer)

Oh, and I've started liking Case Histories. Knew I would.

(Also, the Blackwell list: what was Britney wearing?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home