shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

1.21.2005

pre-weekend

So, here's thing, if you've emailed me in the last month or so and gotten no response whatsoever (which puts you in the vast majority of people who've emailed me) please do not out me on your website Wenclas/sub-Jughead style, for I will be catching up on ALL email over the weekend. Promise. Even though my throat hurts and is scratchy, I promise.

A few hangovers:

1. Coffee and Ink watches Point Pleasant so you don't have to... and she doesn't even have The Great Hatred of Marti Noxon (it's explained in the post). (But then, I never hated MN as much as others.) I didn't even realize PP was a Marti Noxon show, or I'd probably have tried to catch it. I currently have an episode of The Medium sitting on the DVR awaiting a verdict.

2. Bookforum reviews the new Steve Erickson and, of course, finds it brill. Via The Rake. I only discovered Erickson a few years ago and immediately read everything I could get my hands on. If you've yet to read him, great pleasures await you. Start anywhere. Odd, beautiful books.

3. This one's for Kelly. I happened on a whole thread of Zombie Contigency Plans.

4. I started Pauline Fisk's Midnight Blue the other night, because I couldn't decide what to read. It's a YA that I picked up at the big BWI book sale a few months ago, just based on its lovely cover and history of awards. Wonderful. And the perfect book to be reading on the edge of snow. (Excerpt here.)

5. Visit the kingdom of the seahorse. It's nice there.

6. This is frightening. And I don't mean a little frightening. I may have night terrors now.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oooh - thanks for the tip on Steve Erickson! I haven't noticed anything about him since I went through a major literary crush and read every book of his I could get my hands on a few years ago.

    He is such a brilliant writer, with, yes, much to be discovered in his intriguing and totally unique body of work.

    -Lauren Cerand
    Lux Lotus blog

     
  • At 2:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Re: #6. Ahhh! So not the thing I should be looking at at 1 a.m. on Friday night while zoning out after my normally half hour commute home stretched to three hours tonight.

    Kristin

     
  • At 9:20 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Hey Lauren: Literary crush is exactly what I experienced when I first encountered his writing. Did you catch that long piece that (someone, I can't remember who) wrote about him in one of the early issues of The Believer? This instantly insulated that magazine from major criticisms I might have had for it otherwise.

    Kristin: Oh no! That's awful. You live in the great frozen north and now you have that speedo-clad image in your head FOREVER!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home