shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

9.03.2003

it burns! it burns!

Well, actually not, since all it does is rain here now. But I like rain, far more than I like sweltering, make-you-a-big-sweatball-as-soon-as-you-step-outside heat, which is I believe the technical meteorologist term for it. There are kids out there right now, aspiring to become meteorologists and then--weathermen. Or women. And I don't mean the kind Terry Bisson may have been involved with either.

Scary, huh?

"The Facts of Life" is a fine, sprawling novel and I highly recommend it. I didn't quite love it as much as "Fitcher's Brides" (or the "Tooth Fairy" for that matter), and it doesn't actually feel like a World Fantasy winner to me. But don't ask me what that statement means. I came to Graham Joyce in strange way, and this one is for those of you who denounce or doubt the Power of the Blurb. Kelly had sent me "Black Glass," Karen Joy Fowler's last collection for one of my birthdays. I read it and loved it and then about a year later, I read Sister Noon, picking it off the bookshelf at Christopher's place (this was when he still lived on Frankum Branch and worked at the farm). I hadn't been able to find anything to read for weeks, and I just fell into Sister Noon headfirst and loved it. It was the perfect thing, absolutely the perfect thing to read. And then I read Sarah Canary, quickly followed by Sweetheart Season and the earlier collection of stories. And any stories we happened to have in stuff that hadn't been collected. Having exhausted the many-splendored works of Karen, I was at a loss. So, I started digging through one of the many unsteady towers of books that didn't fit in shelves and I came up with Graham Joyce's The Tooth Fairy. I'd been told I should read Graham Joyce, but was skeptical, until I saw one of the blurbs -- yes, friends, romans and countryhicks, it was a blurb by the one and only Karen Joy Fowler. I was sold. I read it and loved it.

The Facts of Life is good too. Quite good.

We went back to the gym last night. It felt great.

Have a good day, as they say in the movies and possibly in Morocco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home