shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

4.11.2005

hug your librarian.

C and I just took a little trip down to our library, where he wished the librarian happy National Library Week, which was acknowledged in a disgruntled way. The librarian said, "Yeah, all we get is a changed Google graphic." Then he and C talked about Unshelved, an online comic that's kind of the Box Office Poison of libraries. You really should check it out.

In honor of this observance, here's the books I checked out after a few idle minutes browsing in the New Books section. These are all random picks, some extremely random, so if you have information for good or ill that may effect me actually reading these books, please do me a favor and comment, okay?

Winners by Eric B. Martin
Sock by Penn Jillette (less random)
Auggie Wren's Christmas Story by Paul Auster (woefully out of season but mercifully slight)
Death of an Ordinary Man by Glen Duncan (I, Lucifer was great fun)

And that is that. Of course, none of these are on tap immediately. Currently reading Pashazade, Redmond O'Hanlon's Trawler (Yay! Is there anything better than a new O'Hanlon book?) and Witch Child by Celia Rees. And two out of those three are from the library, too.

Long live the place where the books are free.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger Chris McLaren said...

    Damn.

    I really enjoyed I, Lucifer too.

    Back to the bookstore tomorrow on my way to poker night, I guess.

     
  • At 8:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Funny, I wrote about the google graphic too. I think it's bound to be the new indicator of national events and observances! fun stuff-- Wendi

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    I just saw that post, Wendi. I think you're definitely onto something.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home