shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

12.26.2004

still not home

But we will be later today, and I've got a couple of posts planned for then about books as Christmas presents.

Last night, we drove back to my parents from C's family domain around 9 p.m., listening to John Waters on Fresh Air, talking about the new album "A John Waters Christmas." I had never, never, never heard any of these songs and they are wonderful. Highlights? "Santa Claus is a Black Man" and "Santa, Don't Pass Me By." (You can hear samples either on the Fresh Air episode or at Barnes and Noble.com -- yes, S & S is now anti-Amazon as well). It's a little late to point to this, but still worth a listen before you're completely out of the holiday mood.

We also heard an excellent, lengthy interview with Gregory Maguire on Studio 360, about fairy tales, but PRI's not nearly so generous with the linkage.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm curious, Gwenda: what tipped the scales to turn you anti-Amazon?

    - Karen M

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Their political contributions. I'm not going to punish every company that isn't in line with my own views, but that one feels like a betrayal. And we didn't actually do that much business with them anyway, so it's a fairly easy (and painless) sacrifice.

    I'm not taking down my wish list like some others have, but I'm not going to link to them when I can link to Powell's or B & N instead.

     
  • At 12:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hmm... that does come as a surprise. I just looked it up; hadn't seen where so much of their money was going to. Thanks for the info.

    Karen

     
  • At 2:43 AM , Blogger Bill S. said...

    Christmas would have been a bleak day if I hadn't had the John Waters X-Mas album playing in the background! I recommend it!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home