shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.28.2004

the dead read poetry, ostrich divas & etc.

This is sort of a grab bag, for which I apologize, but it's all really good stuff, for which I don't apologize one bit.

Recordings of Dorothy Parker to be found here (via About Last Night). And seeking out a certain recording of "Recuerdo" (that's one of my all-time favorite poetry recordings), I found a whole bunch of Edna St. Vincent Millay audio files. Gives me goosebumps. I think Millay is entirely too dismissed as a poet, just in general, but that's a story for another time.

Terry has an involving piece on the state of musical comedy at Commentary Magazine.

Barb has awesome zoo pictures.

Chicha has a link to a site of New York undercity photos and exploration stories, which are way, way cool, and extend the definition of undercity to include urban ruins and decomposing ships. As y'all know, undercities are my fav-o-rite thing, being as I'm finishing a book set in one. I especially urge you to take a gander at the creepy asylums and institutions and the tugboat graveyard.

This is my favorite post today. (Even though it's not from today.) It's at the always excellent Twinkle, twinkle, blah, blah, etc. (Apologies if I've missed a twinkle or a blah. Or for that matter, an etcetera.) Doesn't this make you laugh?

The latest proof of this is the backpack situation. Listen, if you're a male over the age of 11 and you're not in the fucking French Foreign Legion, you probably shouldn't even own a backpack, but if you must, don't use both of the straps when you're just walking from the subway to your cubicle in the AON building. And, if you absolutely insist on using both straps, do not under any circumstance, use that little strap that connects the two in the center. Seriously, who are you, Captain Von Trapp? Unless you're carrying a week's rations and/or your papoose, there's no reason to truss yourself up like that.

The best cycling site in the world, period, the end, has up its first Tour de France post. (Le Tour starts this weekend, you know.) It serves as a pretty good primer on the players to watch for this year (which is going to be SOOOO exciting!), even if it does not include a link to the initial Crazy Jane report assessing the sheer physical hotness of these athletes. Crazy Jane being the Voice of Hotness Reporting in her daily Jambon Reports.

Finally: To the person who was searching for "balloon breasts"--shame on you. This is not clown sex.

worm "Mr. Roboto," Styx (!)

namecheck Jan "Mr. Roboto" Ulrich

2 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Hey, I'm not agreeing with the sentiment, I just think it's funny as hell.

    (Although, I actually do dislike backpacks, just in general. Unless they are very, very cool ones.)

    Anyway, your point is fought out in the comments of that post, which are also hilarious.

     
  • At 6:15 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    So, what you're saying is hippies made you do it?

    (I am not calling Gavin a hippy. I'm generalizing about the People of Northampton.)

    And will you be bleaching your hair too?

    (I kid because I love.)

    G

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home