shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

9.13.2005

the new & improved gilmoregossipcircle

Getting up to write at 5 a.m. = HARD

Anyway, it's a whole new season. Let us gather and be merry. Remember, the last lines of the previous season were: "Will you marry me?" "What?"

Tonight's ep is "New and Improved Lorelai." The WB sez:

Picking up on the same night as last season's finale, Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Luke (Scott Patterson) begin making plans for their future, but Luke (Scott Patterson) is embarrassed when word spreads that Lorelai was the one who proposed. Still hurt over Rory's (Alexis Bledel) decision to drop out of Yale and move in with Emily (Kelly Bishop) and Richard (Edward Herrmann), Lorelai tells her parents that they can take care of Rory from now on. Richard hires an old friend and respected attorney (guest star Robert Foxworth, "Falcon Crest") to help Rory get an easy sentence for stealing the yacht, but the judge gives Rory 300 hours of community service. Logan (Matt Czuchry) throws Rory a "felon" party.

Yanic Truesdale, Liza Weil and Sean Gunn also star. Amy Sherman-Palladino wrote and directed the episode.


Discuss after.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well? Here I am. I'm waiting for the discussion!

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Hey, me too! I'll have some thoughts later. Overall: good ep that bodes well for the season. (I loved the dead women's rings.)

    Karen, Chris, Bill? Bueller?

    (I'm gonna have to nix the word verification because I can't do it! I'm a robot!)

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger Chris McLaren said...

    Didn't get to it until tonight--I've got DVR power now.

    So, you think we're supposed to really hate Rory at this point? I sure do.

    Why are either of the senior Gilmore's, or Rory, surprised that Lorelai is so pissed off?

    I wonder how long until she notices that Logan is not impressed

    I was kind of hoping to see Richard get some contempt of court action, too.

    Luke and Lorelai sleepy house conversation very good.

    Paris was note perfect.

    The "she's all yours" speech was obviously over the top, but it was completely in line with:

    1) how much we know this hurt Lorelai
    2) her history of not exactly handling her emotions competently
    3) her idee fixe about not controlling Rory, and
    4) her ongoing issues with her parents and their control.

     
  • At 6:30 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Some scattered thoughts... I have to say that rewatching some of last season over the summer, it seems to me that last year was very much about Rory trying to create distance from Lorelai. Oddly, what I get from Rory a little bit too, is her moving closer to Lorelai's personality. It can't be a coincidence that mom and daughter were dressed in more or less the same outfit for their nights out in this ep -- white jacket and jeans. Rory's wardrobe is definitely more and more Lorelai-fied all the time. Which is surface, but telling, nonetheless. Logan even reminds me of Christopher, now that you mention it.

    Rory herself bugged me less in this episode. She seems more clueless than anything else, in that way that college kids are. She seems to not realize that something serious is going on between her and her mom -- or to not believe it's possible. Last season was her pushing her mom away; now we're about to see her have trouble dealing with it when her mom actually does go away. Should be fun to watch. After all, there's a certain time when you only want your parents to leave you alone until they do.

    I 100 percent agree that Logan is going to be wanting Rory back to her pure and true roots before long. And I did notice something was up with Luke's hair -- especially in the bed scene -- but I wasn't sure what. I'm distressed if there actually has been fauxage.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home