shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

8.25.2005

mind control words

The always interesting Jon Carroll starts off a column talking about Cory Doctorow's latest*:

To be candid, Cory Doctorow sometimes gives me the creeps. I admire his writing and all, but ... see, I am reading his book about a guy whose father is a mountain and whose mother is a washing machine. Three of his younger brothers are nesting dolls and they live inside each other, in the way of nesting dolls. In fact, they need to be inside each other so that all of their digestions work properly. When one of them goes missing, bad stuff happens fast.


This is actually the least interesting part. The column evolves into a discussion on how Carroll's view of words has changed over time, and what their true power may be.

(Via Jed.)

*Definitely on the TBR list; I hear good things.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Finished Someone Comes To Town last night. I think I think that by all the laws of man and fiction it should not work, yet it does, often brilliantly. But it may be a while before I decide for sure.

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    That's basically what everyone I know who's read it says.

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

    I have to agree. I have a review on Cory's book coming out in the Sept issue of Bookslut and I loved it. But I don't know why it works either (other than the fact that he's a great writer!) It's one of the most interesting books I've come across in ages and I could hardly put it down.

    Colleen

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home