shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.22.2005

reading climate

There's a fascinating exchange over on Douglas Hoffman's Shatter. He posted his wife's very critical thoughts about John Scalzi's Old Man's War and Scalzi responded. Worth reading (although spoilers abound, if you care about that sort of thing) and there's lots of things to notice here, especially the illustration of how a person's day to day cultural baggage can inform their reading of a book in ways completely outside the author's intent or control. Also, that people can discuss books while still being polite. (Via Scalzi.)

Back to editing chapbook and trying to punch several very rough chapters into shape so I can read one out loud without crying afterward.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

    Hi Gwenda,

    Funny thing, seeing this float around the blogosphere. I found you through Westerblog; but since I found Westerblog through John's site, I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find out you follow The Whatever, too.

    My wife's kind of a funny cookie. She accuses me of being opinionated, but she's capable of vitriol that leaves me in the shade. I was impressed as all hell that John responded in such a level-headed manner.

    Karen does indeed see things through a different set of peepers. Her mother was put into a Japanese internment camp during WWII, and her father . . . well, let's just say he had interesting experiences on both sides of that war. Remember that old commercial, "What's our little skeptic up to today?" "Frying bread in pure Wesson oil!" That's my wife, a skeptic from the moment she could speak.

    As for me, I thought Old Man's War was great fun, and I didn't search it for deeper meanings or ulterior motives. I took it at face value and loved it.

    Best regards.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home