shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

10.25.2004

dickian with a side of spillane

In honor of the general paranoia over the upcoming election, I offer up a pointer to a letter written by Phillip K. Dick to NBC's Jack Perkins about Mickey Spillane in 1982. It's even better than you think; a teensy excerpt:

The other day I heard from the Southern Poverty Law Center --run by Julian Bond-- that my money had helped free a young black man who had been sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit. So I say to hell with the Porsche and the swimming pool -- but I didn't really understand until tonight when I saw your segment on Mickey Spillane, because I had to see another writer for my brain to comprehend; I had to see that if Mickey Spillane can do it, so can I. Tell him I love him, the big lug. He is obviously a good, good man, and I deduce from this that in a certain real way so am I. I never realized it before.

(Thanks to Christopher.)

worm "Wooden Overcoat," John Wesley Harding

name J. Todd

4 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    OK-I have know Wes since I was a wee collegiate thing. What is this "Wooden Overcoat" song of which you speak?

    Worm: "Ballad of the Sin Eater," Ted Leo + Pharmacists
    name: Buick Prentice

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sorry, above from Cinetrix, who nearly became a Poli Sci major in college thanks to her Southern Poverty Law-belonging, Hillary Clinton-advising undergrad prof.

     
  • At 7:44 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    A friend (who I believe has also known Wes a long time) sent it on a mix CD. For you, though, I've found an mp3 link: http://www.mikesfichtner.com/john-wesley-harding-mp3/woodenovercoatmp3.htm

    If you scroll down there are a couple of freebie download places.

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You can keep the pipe and the sportscar, but I still want the wool sweater and the dog and the leather armchair.

    DM

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home