shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

7.25.2004

well, it's over

Le Tour, that is. Except for the extra-commentating by Tyler Hamilton on the recap of today's stage tonight, and the last edition of "The Lance Chronicles" and the last Crazy Jane Delicieux report. Oh, and the continuing trickle on the Armstrong/Simeoni dust-ups. Speaking of which, Jane was on rare form yesterday and I couldn't agree with her more.

The voices of Armstrong's detractors are louder than ever this season, but his answer to them has been this unstoppable performance. As far as I know, despite the fact that there seem to be about a gazillion people who would love to see him fail or fall from grace, Lance Armstrong has not been found guilty of anything more than being a serious hard ass. People, did you think that the six-time winner of the Tour de Frickin' France would be a fluffy little bunny who cares if you approve of his every move? It's not in his job description to be charming all the time, it's in his job description to win the Tour de France. I'd say he's taking care of business. Has anyone considered that the things that make him prickly are the very things that make him a 6 time superstud? Get over it, people! It's like criticizing Bono for being an egomaniac! Duh!

As for the de rigeur doping allegations, you can decide that he's dirty and secretive, or you could take him at his word. As someone who loves cycling, I am going to choose the later. If Lance Armstrong is dirty, it would be a crushing blow for this sport, especially in America. It would be a huge disappointment to all the people who look to him for hope and inspiration. For my part, I am going to go ahead and break out the benefit of the doubt until someone's got some proof, because that's the way we roll in America, and I think making allegations in the absence of proof is just irresponsible. I know, I know: I'm a fool, and it's impossible to win the tour without being doped to the eyeballs. I'm duped by my romantic imagination, and probably believe in the tooth fairy, too. So be it. I'd rather show a little faith than be cynical about it all. Lance Armstrong and his awesome teammates tore the road up today, and I really enjoyed it.


I never got to my Tour de France as epic post, but there's always next year. Alez, alez, alez!

worm "Life is But a Dream," Tanya Donnelly

namecheck Susan Marie "Great Sports Editorial" Groppi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home