shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.21.2005

puffy

So, another day practically contentless! I swear tomorrow I'll at least link to a bunch of stuff. But I did have long but not as long as usual day and then ride the bicycle and eat the Mexican food and -- most importantly -- pay my voluminous fines off at the library (discounted a buck for my use of voluminous; I love our library). I used my newfound freedom to take out the sequel to Jumper and Winslow in Love.

Also, riding home on the sidewalk where the bricks wobble back and forth with a pleasing sound as you cross them, we passed the scary storefront church. It's just your standard rundown storefront, but there's a church in it. You know it's a church because they have big white sheets hanging in the display windows with a really ugly wooden cross in one of them. What makes it scary is the fact that you can't see inside at all. Today there was a new poster board rendering of the ten commandments in one of the display windows. They were in sort of a "modernized" interpretation which was laughable, but not nearly so laughable as the fact they were written in cursive in GOLD PUFF PAINT. That's right, it's apparently the crazy fundamentalist sect of teenage girls trapped in the '80s. As a puff paint expert back in the day (Converse, jeans, shirts), I felt compelled to nearly overturn my bike in delight. I really think civilization would have gone a different way if the original ten had been done in sparkly gold puff paint. Don't you?

And I'd misplaced the manuscript of Girl's Gang that I'm working off for a few days, but then, yeah, it was right on my desk under a bunch of paper. So it goes.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM , Blogger Bill S. said...

    A couple of years ago, a storefront church opened up next to my place of employment. In the window in the front was painted in big white letters (really slopilly) "First Unique Church of Christ". You couldn't see inside their windows, either. They were there for a couple weeks, and then disappeared, only to be replaced by a mortgage place.

     
  • At 10:18 PM , Blogger Chris McLaren said...

    I am somewhat hesitant to admit that I have no idea what "puff paint" is.

     
  • At 5:40 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    I could tell you it's this, but really it's this. I'm having trouble telling whether it's still commercially available -- at any rate, it appears the church must have stockpiled or mixed their own, for gold seems to be "out of print." Basically, it's really cheap, low quality plasticy paint that comes in a crinkly little plastic bottle and has to dry forever. Even once dry, it flakes and peels off really easily. In my mind, it's most closely associated with Rite Dye, since you could get them both at the grocery store.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home