shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.13.2005

another literary cabal (updated)

The Latest Dark Cabal is a new blog devoted to talking about genre works with only anonymous contributors, or in the initial post's words:
It’s a place to talk about science fiction and fantasy in the long tradition of serious discussion of the field, as inspired by sources as diverse as Bruce Sterling’s Cheap Truth and the symposium Khatru. From the start we wanted this discussion to be anonymous for a couple of reasons. First, we are writers but we don’t really want this to be about our careers. Second, because being anonymous allows a certain amount of freedom.
Looks good so far and seems to be avoiding the snark (or nark) that anonymity sometimes brings. I won't say I agree with everything that's been said there so far (not by a long shot), but it seems as if it could/should kick off some excellent discussions.

(Via Shortform.)

Updated: Justine chimes in with a thoughtful, right-on-target post about the nostalgia factor at play in at least one of the posts on the blog (one of the things I was referencing with the long shot comment but far too lazy to get specific about myself).

6 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM , Blogger David Moles said...

    The other thing that's interesting about that site is the way they fetishize science fiction -- I mean, obviously I'm as bored with bad slipstream as the next guy (probably more so, really), but the idea what what's missing might be the sciencey stuff seems to me like wishful thinking.

     
  • At 3:12 PM , Blogger David Moles said...

    Watch, they'll start talking about "the romance element" any time now.

     
  • At 4:40 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Well, obviously, the Secret Literary Cabal or the Secret Feminist Literary Cabal will be taking down names--and that includes pseudonyms.

     
  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger David Moles said...

    I find myself taking a perverse pleasure in going over there and posting under my own name, really.

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

    As do I...hehe

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    I will only post comments over there as Mrs. Charbuque.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home