shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

4.01.2005

(hello, my name is gullible.)

The first April Fool's joke that's almost gotten me this morning is here. I plan on practicing extreme skepticism for the rest of the day.

Oh, for the youthful days of elaborate practical jokes -- like the time I wore a fake cast all day in third grade (Mrs. Gay's class) so I wouldn't have to do any work, or the time I convinced the class clown to get up and bolt from the evil sixth grade history teacher's classroom then got the rest of the kids to move all the furniture and her beloved plants into the vacant classroom of her evil sister next door while she was gone, or the great home ec baby theft of junior year. Good times. In fact, it wasn't really safe to get out of bed on April Fool's day in my family, since every damn person would play at least one practical joke on every other person in the family. What were we: tricksters? It was more fun. We're all lazy now.

Finally got some sleep. I'm going to try and get a tiny bit more, even. Have a good weekend and don't believe everything you see.

(Oh, and keep an eye on Locus. It's usually really funny today.)

ETA

worm: "Starts Off With a Bang," Mobius Band (because it reminds me of U2 in the best possible way; a happy springtime song)

also

"Finding Out That True Love is Blind," Louis XIV and "B.O.B. F.O.S.S.E.," Black Lipstick

Update: The Locus pranx are now up. Year's Best Jeff Ford and Year's Best Lucius Shepard is pretty damn hilarious! Also:

In related news, a Year's Best Neal Stephenson, which will include only the necessary scenes from his Baroque Cycle novels, will be released by William Morrow and edited by the long-suffering John Clute.


There's more hilarity. Check it out.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    There's April Fool's stuff at Locus Online now.

    -Tim

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Thanks, Tim -- all is now right with the world!

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My first one was at the hands of low culture when it was still March 31 Pacific Time. I spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to sign up for premium content. Damn NyQuil.

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah yes, the Baroque cycle. I tried to read Cryptonomicon. Failed. My review: A 300 page story crammed into a 900 page novel. Just because you can write twelve pages of a guy riding a bike, or fourteen of a guy doing math, doesn't mean you should.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home