shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

3.27.2005

a brief flirtation with sleep

Warning: George the Dog health nattering ahead.

After 24 hours off the steroids and a half a Rimadyl, George the Dog decided he didn't much like that. Or rather his body decided. Since 6 a.m., we've been hefting him up and down, in and out of the house all day, and generally worry-warting. Even his front legs are stiff. Yesterday, we took him back for his vet re-check and got the Rimadyl and he was great.

We finally managed to get through to our vet through the Sunday Loophole, when someone's there for half an hour at 5:30 to release dogs that boarded overnight. She had me drive out there and swap the Rimadyl for Prednisone, which we immediately dosed George up on. Steroids, it is. They're not just for baseball players anymore. Now we hope the turnaround is as immediate and complete as it was last time.

Poor George the Dog.

Anyway, we're trending Glasgow-ward, though wealthy benefactors are definitely still welcome. And we've been doing tax stuff. I don't think I have to remind anyone who endured last week's depressing posts that we've both been sick and, as a result, missed a ton of work work and writing work last week. So, consider this an apology in advance as I attempt to catch up and have Way Too Much going on this week.

I did manage some work on the manuscript Friday afternoon, and have resulting thoughts on the importance of being stubborn. I also cleaned up and pecked out a little of the new book today for write club this week.

This is boring even me. Glasgow? Now the prospect of Glasgow is exciting. Also, Arrested Development is even better with cough syrup.

And no matter what, March has stunk.* C'mon, April.

(*Is Mercury in retrograde? I don't believe in this stuff, but I won't be surprised if someone tells me it is.)

ETA: Could March Madness have Tingle Alley and Shaken & Stirred cheering on opposite sides? Stay tuned. (The announcers sound exhausted.)

ETA More: Good thing Christopher's a U of L fan.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM , Blogger Clint said...

    Mercury is, in fact, in retrograde ... for some reason I thought I read that here. Probably because I depend on you for most of my useful information. I manage to did up enough to the pointless stuff myself.

    Hope all improves. I'm wishing George the Dog my best.

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds like you're on the mend, and now i am pulling for George as well.

    We had sad dog news this wekeend over at my blog. tough stuff, that dog love.

     
  • At 1:31 PM , Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

    Poor George the Dog. I'm sending good doggie vibes his way.

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    It is, indeed, tough stuff. Sorry to hear your news, Wendi.

    He's doing a little better, but not as immediately better as before. Still, there's another dose of medicine today.

     
  • At 3:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey there --

    Watch out for that Rimadyl. It works well on dogs, but only for a time and then it can really mess them up (their stomachs, their livers) so be extra careful should you need to use it more. You know what worked well for us on our now dearly departed Sassy? Chewable gloucosamine. The vet will try to get you to pay 50 bucks for it, but you can get it at Petsmart or Petco or whatever for significantly cheaper and it seems to really help, provided you use it consistently. The sad thing about pets is this very thing, dealing with their pain.

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Thanks for the Rimadyl caution. He won't be getting even one more half dose of it. The reaction was too immediate. He's back on his 'roids now and finally getting better. At this point, we're not worrying about long-term side effects, but comfort and mobility. Also, I am beginning to worry about how mean I will become if I don't eventually get to sleep through the night.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home