shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

3.22.2005

why children are bioterrorists

Actually, not why, just the fact that they are. (With a nod to the lovely Lipkandy ladies.)

The worst kind of email to get from your mother is the one where she tells you your nephew, who stayed over all weekend, just got diagnosed with a B strain of influenza. The B strain thing is pretty much irrelevant, but you know me. If there's a lab result, I have to work it in.

Which--when coupled with the evidence that Mr. Rowe took to his bed immediately after work last night and was feeling far, far worse than we ever did with the sentient cold last week, stayed home from the office today coughing and groaning and is still verrrry low--means the virus is among us. The pandemic has come.* I'm apparently fighting it off, but I know how these things work. It's a matter of time.

Still, a girl can have her hope-tini, right?

All by way of saying, don't be surprised if the site flatlines for a couple of days. This is all terribly interrupting my revisions, but it's given me lots of thinking time and I'm hoping to get back to them tomorrow night. If my brain feels still like a brain, that is.

However sick I may get, though, I will be forgoing the Tom Cruise movies. Others did not have the same luck. I got this email from Mr. Rowe this morning, which he kindly allows me to share:

I have just watched a program from bed called The Last Samurai and found that it lacked many of the qualities I like in programs. It did have armor and horses and costumes, though, and I like those things.

It also reminded me that I don't know much of nothing about Japanese history and it also had ninjas. I went and googled ninja and went ten pages deep before giving up that I won't find anything. Video Ninja, White Ninja, Black Ninja, The Littlest Ninja. I went to Wikipedia and they talk about ninjas and sound authoritative until you read it again and then it sounds kind of fannish. So I still don't know anything about REAL NINJAS.


Ninja knowledge, anyone? He could be dying.**

*Anyone else signing up for the pandemic panel at Wiscon? You know you want to.

**Not really.

ETA: Damn, that sucked. George's former ulcer is acting up due to the meds and neither of us got more than 20 minutes uninterrupted sleep until 9, when we slept till noon. Bleh. Now we go pick up his antibiotics and try and figure out whether we're just exhausted or fluish. Well, C's definitely fluish.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Rob Smith said...

    Ninja have really cool footwear. The boot splits at the big toe and allows more wiggle mobility. Unfortunately Ms. Bond, they only come in black.

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger chance said...

  • At 4:50 AM , Blogger Ted said...

    I've heard (and a search of the newsgroups indicates that others have heard the same thing) that the popular depiction of ninjas wearing all black is actually a confusion of a theatrical convention.

    In Japanese theater, some effects are performed by stagehands, who wear all black so they are hard to see against the black backdrop. (Puppeteers often do the same thing.) Apparently, there arose a convention of dressing ninja characters on stage in similar black outfits, to suggest their stealth and invisibility. This convention became so closely identified with ninjas that it spread off the stage, into movies, TV, and comics, and setting where a black outfit actually draws attention to the wearer. Actual historical ninjas supposedly wore whatever would make most sense for a covert operative, i.e. wearing the enemy's uniform to move around in the enemy camp unnoticed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home