shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

4.05.2005

cough (bullshit) cough

From an excellent NYT story on satellite radio:

Though satellite radio is still an unprofitable blip in the radio universe, it is pushing commercial radio to change its sound. Broadcasters are cutting commercials, adding hundreds of songs to once-rigid playlists, introducing new formats and beefing up their Internet offerings. A long-awaited move to digital radio could give existing stations as many as five signals each, with which they could introduce their own subscription services - but with a local flavor that satellite is hard pressed to match.

"At the end of the day, people want to hear what's going on in their local market," said Joel Hollander, chairman and chief executive of Infinity Broadcasting, owned by Viacom and the country's second-largest broadcaster behind Clear Channel. "People are emotionally involved with local radio."


All the local radio that's left in most of the country sucks. It is so worth $10 a month to have access to good radio in your car, no matter where you may be. If I need weather, I look outside. If I need traffic, I switch over to local -- unless I'm in another city that's covered by the Sirius traffic network. Or I look outside.

Local radio began to die years ago.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:38 PM , Blogger Bill S. said...

    Keeping in mind that hate is an emotion, then yes, my emotional involvement with local radio runs deep as the ocean and wide as the skies above.

    I have never been in a position where a traffic report has done me any good. I only ever hear of traffic jams once I'm already in them.

     
  • At 4:09 PM , Blogger chance said...

    Like cable TV, I can't imagine paying to listen to the radio.

    Obviously I am in the minority on the tv ...

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Local radio? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I come from the land where Bubba the Love Sponge (*gag*) gained his radio fame, where ClearChannel roams the land.

    We do have an excellent community radio station and a local classical station/NPR affiliate, and that's the only local radio I listen to. As for music, we just got digital cable and I am deeply in love with the music channels.

     
  • At 4:18 PM , Blogger Robin said...

    Unlike TV, I can imagine paying for radio (if I still had a car). Big city doesn't do anything to help the state of local radio...Chicago's sucks as badly as Lexington's ever did.

    What I'd rather have is access to internet radio in the car. WOXY.com would never be turned off.

     
  • At 6:37 AM , Blogger elad said...

    there is still hope!

    http://www.kexp.org/

    to the resccuuueeee.

     
  • At 8:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ohgod. I so hate ClearChannel. I have a personal boycott on turning on the radio in my car.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home