shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

12.13.2004

why not?

After all, a Monday morning m@?!* beats providing actual content, right? I saw this first from Caitlin Kiernan (whose excellent Murder of Angels ate up much of my weekend). As always, I reserve the right to change the questions I don't like.

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Got married, obvs. Visited San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Actually finished book (!). Many things, actually, so I'll stop.

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This one's a joke, right?

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Sorta. Mr. McLaren became a dad, though he didn't do the actual birthing. Canadians may be odd, but not that odd.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico and Tennessee. (Hey, there was that whole Franklin business.)

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
Lots and lots of money.

7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 3, otherwise known as hitching day (see no. 1). November 2, otherwise known as Black Tuesday.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably finishing my book (finally!). I was just shocked to go back and look at when I actually started -- as part of Greg's May YA Novel Dare -- and see that it was only May 2003. It feels like it should have been many, many more years ago than that. Feeling a bit better about my foot-dragging now. A year and a half-ish isn't so very long.

9. What was your biggest failure?
To sleep enough and keep going to the gym on the straight and narrow. I do have the best intentions to get back on track though.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My bicycle! (Well, Christopher bought it.)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Pretty much everybody's. You were all extremely well-behaved this year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Read any newspaper.

14. Where did most of your money go?
What am I, an accountant? Into thises and thatses, books and meals and wine. Frugality's a dream for next year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our new house, especially the pressed tin ceiling room.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
"The Rat," The Walkmen. Oh and, "Jessica Simpson," Adam Green. Any number of others.

17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Not being plagued by bongos. Less rambly.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Work, research for the next book (working on it), budgeting, visiting friends, gyming, more George walks.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Spending $$ on stuff I can't remember. Stressing.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Driving, driving, driving from place to place to place to see various family members.

22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
Better -- stayed in love.

23. How many one-night stands?
How old (and wise) it makes me feel that I actually laughed at this question.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Gilmore Girls. Though Deadwood and The Wire run close for second.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
The list is under constant revision.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sirius satellite radio.

28. What did you want and get?
A digital camera.

29. What did you want and not get?
A new computer.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I think. Or possibly: Before Sunset or Garden State.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
There was some confusion, but it turned out I was 28. We did stuff, but I'm not sure exactly what, and my own record is no help whatsoever. I decided to have a low-key birthday this year.

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
See entry on Black Tuesday.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
Retro, as I was able to resurrect some clothes that had been assigned to the closet.

34. What kept you sane?
George. And Christopher.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one really comes to mind. Fuck celebrities!

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Next question.

37. Who did you miss?
More people than I wanted to.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Luz of San Miguel. Even if she was convinced I look like the Bride of Chucky. Oh, and a special SBC shout-out to Ms. Carrie. And, also, the writing group core -- Clint, Robin, Katherine, Melissa -- and the Other Melissa.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Sometimes you can get what you want.

*I hate that word!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Melissa -- and the Other Melissa.:) the feeling's quite mutual.

    also, congratulations on novel-finishing!! now it's the obligatory three weeks of celebration and post-partum depression. oh, wait. that's me.

    also also, blogger HATES me. we'll see if this actually posts. *fingers crossed*

    -one of the melissas

     
  • At 5:15 PM , Blogger Rob Smith said...

    Speaking of the Wire, did you see that shit coming last night? Where will the show go now? Plus just around the bend, Carnivale!

     
  • At 9:07 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    M: I think I had the post-partum when I finished the first draft. Now I just feel relieved and kind of at loose ends and like I should really be rolling along with the next book. But I am also luxuriating in a few days of well-earned unproductivity.

    Rob: I figured that the one big thing was gonna go down this season, but I'm really, really interested to see what happens to Avon in the next episode. Did you catch Dennis Lehane at the equipment desk?

     
  • At 6:26 PM , Blogger Rob Smith said...

    No! I'll watch a rerun and check Mr. Lehane out. I'm fine as long as they don't kill Omar.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home