shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

10.11.2004

our boy in Japan

Mr. Barzak has a new story up on Strange Horizons, "The Trail of My Father's Blood." It starts good and stays good:

It was winter when it came for me. A blizzard swept through our corner of Ohio that December, strong enough to close the schools and local businesses for an entire week. Snow drifted, swirling into dunes that blocked roads and driveways. Ice grew like stalactites on the eaves of our houses. We were warned to stay inside, but it was deer season, and many of us went out even though we'd been warned not to, some of us because we'd been warned not to. "Men are fools," my mother once told me. "They think by breaking rules they prove their manhood."

Although she loved my father, my mother did not love men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home