shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

8.13.2004

welcome to my lucky day

Triskaidekaphobes, beware.

The rest of you, happy Friday the 13th. See, I figured when I was about 16, that I had such bad luck the rest of the time, that anything that was supposed to be unlucky would work in reverse for me. Plus, what's not to love about a day on which the weakest and craziest among us voluntarily stay home?

I once did a huge feature page for my college paper, interviewing sorority girls who lived on the 13th floor (they were definitely unlucky, and by unlucky I mean stupid)of a campus dorm and someone's superstitious grandmother. In fact, I did a story much like the one on National Geographic online about the root of the phobia:

"It's been estimated that [U.S] $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day because people will not fly or do business they would normally do," said Donald Dossey, founder of the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina.

Among other services, Dossey's organization counsels clients on how to overcome fear of Friday the 13th, a phobia that he estimates afflicts 17 to 21 million people in the United States.


You must investigate this, CAAF.

I always thought that Saturday the 14th would become unlucky, following this movie. But it wasn't so.

I think I'm going to wear my Bitch socks today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home