shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

8.03.2004

"I'm in this for the cool-ass monsters."* (updated)

China's reading was excellent, if swelteringly hot (which is even more unwelcome because of the recent a/c fritz). We had nice drinks and conversation about bestiaries, the Secret Service, CSI and other matters afterward and he's almost done with the tour, which is never a bad feeling.

Buy his new book. This is what it looks like:



I plan on reading nothing but thick-ass books till the end of time, now that I've started the Susanna Clarke (which is really, really great). That's my story for now.

Now, to bed. Long day tomorrow. Not necessarily a good thing.

*The post title comes from a response to a question from the audience.

UPDATED: I should note for those of you who've wanted to read "The Tain" but not been able to find it, that the bookstore had Four Walls Eight Windows' Cities mini-antho, reprinting "The Tain," as well as excellent stuff by Michael Moorcock, Paul Di Filippo ("A Year in the Linear City" is great!), and Geoff Ryman's (possibly the Tallest Man in Science Fiction, though that is still under debate until I see he and Kessel side by side) "V.A.O." Thought this was worth noting since we were excited to find it.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:03 AM , Blogger John Klima said...

    CITIES is a reprint of four PS Publishing novellas that went out of print almost immediately. You are correct, it is a great collection. I bought Gollancz hardcover copy in Canada last Summer.

    JK

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

    Hey! Where did you get your copy of the Clarke book? I am ravenous to read it and it says it doesn't come out till September, when I'll be in Japan and far far away from it!

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Um. I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you. When do you leave? I can try to finish it and send it to you...?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home