shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

7.02.2004

how mark twain tamed the bicycle

And both chapters are online and free (ah, the wonders of our world). So, with less than 24 hours to go until Le Tour, I give you Mr. Clemens.

The bicycle had what is called the "wabbles," and had them very badly. In order to keep my position, a good many things were required of me, and in every instance the thing required was against nature. That is to say, that whatever the needed thing might be, my nature, habit, and breeding moved me to attempt it in one way, while some immutable and unsuspected law of physics required that it be done in just the other way. I perceived by this how radically and grotesquely wrong had been the life-long education of my body and members. They were steeped in ignorance; they knew nothing--nothing which it could profit them to know. For instance, if I found myself falling to the right, I put the tiller hard down the other way, by a quite natural impulse, and so violated a law, and kept on going down. The law required the opposite thing--the big wheel must be turned in the direction in which you are falling. It is hard to believe this, when you are told it. And not merely hard to believe it, but impossible; it is opposed to all your notions. And it is just as hard to do it, after you do come to believe it. Believing it, and knowing by the most convincing proof that it is true, does not help it: you can't any more DO it than you could before; you can neither force nor persuade yourself to do it at first. The intellect has to come to the front, now. It has to teach the limbs to discard their old education and adopt the new.

Those limbs can do amazing things.

worm the Tour de France soundtrack, Kraftwerk

namecheck Tugboat's feeling better! Yay, Tugboat Hamilton!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home