shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.11.2004

"you don't have the sense god gave a dog"

No, I'm not talking about you.

I'm afraid you should expect radio silence from me this weekend. I may even, gasp, turn off the wireless card on my computer. I have much work to be done that does not involve procrastination and surfing the net. We had our regular writing group meeting last night, which was lovely as always, and the group pretty well gave me the nod on the chapters I'd turned in. Which is nice. Some minor tweakage to those and then onward!

I spent most of last night and this morning setting up a new private bulletin board for my screenwriting workshop, as we just needed a better, easier set-up. (So far, I would highly recommend EZ Board Gold Community for this kind of thing. Very simple.)

So, there'll be not much interesting from me. That's my story for now anyway.

There's lots of interesting stuff elsewhere today though, like...

This is a picture of a fox-like creature, which of course may be fake, but it's a pretty well done fake at least. I'm inclined to believe it, because I will believe anything. Too many books with illustrations of the Loch Ness Monster (or Peggy, as I like to call her) when I was a kid. Plus, I started reading TROLL: A LOVE STORY last night, which makes me even more receptive. (Via Weirdwriter.)

Matt Withers does that voodoo over at Special Agency, with a great post on an obnoxious article on the MTV Movie Awards by an obnoxious music writer. But he manages to take his observations and make some very interesting extensions about the effect of blogging on journalistic writing, not necessarily for the better. Go check it out.

Looking through some books this morning, and then working my way through the blogroll (Kathryn Cramer's site specifically), Rosamond Purcell caught my eye, as she does whenever her work enters my field of view. So, if you haven't become addicted to the natural light museum photographs that Purcell does, go here and here, then go buy all her books on ABE.

Oh, and last, via Kristin at 32 Degrees, there's this excellent story about dogs and language -- especially Rico the border collie's vocabulary. Do you think this has anything to do with border collies being fairly insane much of the time? Christopher?

That is all. Good weekend, all. Move. Breathe. Have a nice glass of white.

worm: "Mambo de la Luna," Kirsty MacColl

check out: A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY by Libba Bray

namecheck: Susan "You Actually Have Great Hair, You Know" Groppi

3 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You're a dangerous woman, Gwenda -- I went and looked at the photos, and then put the Owls Head book on my Amazon wishlist, and if no one buys it for me soon, I suspect I'll be buying it for myself...

    (Oh, and re: the other day's congrats, thanks! :-)

    - Mary Anne

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    You will not be sorry. Her work is amazing... I'd also highly recommend her collaborations with Stephen Jay Gould and her book Strange Cases. Happy sigh.

    And yes, again, big congratulations!

     
  • At 1:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I saw a nifty Purcell exhibit last fall at Tufts, including Foucault's Pendulum, which I quite liked.

    --jed

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home