shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.22.2004

picturing dinosaurs

I'm working my way through the new Scientific American (the opening piece on icthyosaurs rocks -- and I mean, really, can it get any better than a bunch of predator talk?).

I was reminded that I've never linked to Doug Henderson's work before. Doug Henderson draws and paints dinosaurs for a living; his work has been in many prominent texts, some for adults, some for kids. He's also from Lexington.

His work is amazing. But don't take my word for it. Go check out his site.

From his "about" page:

This web site represents an illustrator's hodgepodge view of early life on Earth. The accompanying text is intended for those perhaps not familiar with Earth History; children, young adults, day-traders, politicians, movie producers, aging boomers and other enthusiasts looking for some meaning in life. These 90 some images are a slice of the work that has kept me occupied (if not always employed), out of trouble and more or less happy for the last 20 years.

So, see, he's funny too!

I also suggest going to the Oceans of Kansas site to see the absolutely gorgeous paintings he's done.



And that's not even my favorite. I love the warm-hued paintings best.

worm "Just Like Heaven," Dinosaur Jr

namecheck David "Best Living Science Writer" Quammen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home