shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

6.21.2004

embarrassment of riches

On the heels of the boxes of goodness last night, comes another box of goodness AND a check for $20 dollars. (Hey, I need that $20 right now.) Yay!

More on the goodness within as I read and only read for the next few weeks. Comics and graphic novels and giant advance reader copies, oh my. It's like my birthday's here early. (Hmmm... speaking of birthdays, I did just happen to update my Wish List the other day, thoughtfully ordering the items I'd like from least to most expensive so you can show me how much you love me. I kid. But just in case. July 12. Me and Caesar and Thoreau; what a bunch of liars).

Anyway, the house is clean, the grocering is done, I have a glass of wine, I have thou, I have lots of new stuff. And I have three new magazines I bought because I couldn't be restrained at the bookstore. The Scientific American I mentioned below turned out to be a special on display until today only, so I had to go get it. Which I did, and it looks marvelous. And the first issue of Swink and the new issue of Conduit. And now I'm going to go read "Family Reunion: a comic from the novel Perfect Circle" by Sean Stewart and Steve Lieber. Then, maybe even tomorrow, I'll finally write about Perfect Circle, a tour de force of a book. It knocked me flat.

(I also took a peek at the Small Beer Press profile in the previous issue of Publisher's Weekly. Even bigger yay!)

But first: food, drink and the promised Charlotte Bronte quote:

(granted the first from a young Charlotte, but the others not so much)

"The thoughts should come spontaneously as I write or they're not the inspiration of genius" and "inspiration takes the place of reflection" and the "man of genius produces, without work."

Good thing I'm not a genius.

worm "Miss Ohio," Gillian Welch

namecheck The Illustrious Small Beer Duo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home