shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.20.2004

you say addict, I say good taste

So, I've taken the "2004 Summer Movies Cinema Caucus," and just like the Cinetrix (who also took the quiz in the persona de dubya and got predictable yet creepy results), I'm an art-house addict.

The Art-House Addict simply loves subtitles and low budgets and avoids the mall multiplex like the plague. Going against the grain is the name of the game for the Art-House Addict, an independent thinker whose taste runs more to The Seventh Seal than The Sixth Sense.


Only, not really. Those of you that know me and my tastes know that it's not necessarily art house movies I like, or blockbusters I loathe. I just like good movies. Unfortunately, I guess that's such an indefinable quantity that we have to have odds and yeah, I think the indie films we get to see are probably generally better than the blockbusters. (Notice I said get to see -- there are plenty of shit indies out there without distribution or with limited dis that doesn't get them to Lexington.) Also, I'm not that excited about the list of movies they think I'd like.

The top five on our Netflix queue right now (which is awfully stale, I might add) is:

1. Big Fish
2. The Cooler
3. Dirty Pretty Thing
4. The Ladykillers (original)
5. Alphaville

I have to admit that I usually futz around so anything past three we'll probably never see. (Yes, I've seen The Ladykillers.) We have right now The Secret Lives of Dentists, Northfork and The Quiet American (my nemesis)... Okay, I'm probably not making my own case here. But really, I don't feel I can be put in this narrow art-house fan straight-jacket. Not unless I get Enid's wardrobe.

Anyway, where do you stack up?

(p.s. our writing group really does stomp the terra!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home