shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.21.2004

small things, and cool ones

First, go check out David Schwartz's killer post on THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB (currently at number 15 on Amazon -- yay!). He is right on, of course, and if you haven't bought and read yet you need to find out what's wrong with you. Seriously.

More importantly, I'm Flannery O'Connor's work. (I tested out this little quizilla, btw, and I'd suggest not choosing a fascination with dark places unless you like a certain terrible writer who has recently moved out of her gothpalace in New Orleans, if you know who I mean.) I'd have preferred Dorothy Parker, but I'll take it gladly!

Flannery O'Connor
Flannery O'Connor wrote your book. Not much escapes
your notice.


Which Author's Fiction are You?
brought to you by Quizilla

(Via Sarah Weinman.)

Also, go see whether your neighbors give political contributions, and if so, to who...on a site profiled in the NYT today. And after you're through finding out you live in R-ville, go take Jacob Sager Weinstein's surefire debunker of the bogus argument that gay marriage is somehow a different issue than interracial marriage was in quiz form, by asking you to pick out which arguments were made about gay marriage and which about interracial marriage. Not that any of you need it, but it's an interesting exercise and makes its point in a way I haven't seen. Make sure to read Jacob's comments at the end.

The proof for Say...why aren't we crying? arrived today and it looks just too smashing for belief. We went with a more classic interior this time, less art, but cleaner, and the cover is spectacular. Very excited to see the finished product! As you should be: order now.

earworm: "Van Lear Rose," Loretta Lynn
checkout: THE LUCKY ONES by Rachel Cusk
namecheck: David "Love is Red" Schwartz

5 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Will the new Say ... be available at Wiscon?

    Holy Moley, how can I be Jane Austen's work? I only just started my first Jane Austen novel last week.

    --HeyTrey

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Say...why aren't we crying? will be available at Wiscon, lord willing and the creek don't rise, as they say. If it isn't, Christopher and I will be visibly gnashing our teeth, so you'll know. But all indications are that we're on schedule.

    Wow, lucky you, getting Jane Austen. I have to start reading her too.

     
  • At 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay! On my acquisition list it goes.

    --HeyTrey

     
  • At 4:16 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Why, Richard, are you implying that I would choose lemonade? I actually chose pisco sour (hey, champagne wasn't an option), and came up with O'Connor. Surely Heinlein's not lemonade? That would be almost too perfect in some indefinable way.

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

    I chose martinis and still got Flannery, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home