shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

5.10.2004

not that I want to...

...stir up all the used bookstore ranting that makes me sad again, but a short interview with Vincent McCaffrey on the subject of Avenue Victor Hugo Books closing in the Boston Globe.

I even wrote my senior thesis on "The Perfect Bookstore," which I claimed should reflect the individual bookseller's personal philosophy and love of books. After graduating, I sold books from a cart in front of the Boston Public Library for a couple of years before opening Avenue Victor Hugo with my wife Thais. Until recently, it was still possible to run the kind of place I originally had in mind -- but sadly, I no longer believe the independent bookstore is a viable business.

Again, he has interesting things to say that are worth thinking about, and it's very, very sad that AVH has left us.

(link via Project: UnButtercup)

worm: "Pavlov's Bell," Aimee Mann

check out: THE DREAMS OUR STUFF IS MADE OF, Thomas Disch

namecheck: Barb "Birthday Girl" Gilly

4 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM , Blogger Gavin said...

    I liked Journalscape. But, being a big-hearted guy open to the universe and enjoying many tings (not), there are things about this one I like (many entries on one page), too.

    Right, onto Withboots. Or was that With Crows?

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Yeah... I really like Journalscape too. But I also like the many entries on one page (and hey it just nifty emailed me your comment!). I like both. Torn, torn, torn, I am.

     
  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Thanks, Jenn!

    I'm totally torn. I'm just sorta experimenting at this point, because I've been really, really happy with Journalscape... but I'm also not very good at manipulating it to the extent that's possible.

    One thing about this place that I can already tell I don't like as much is having to go to a separate page for comments. I really like the pop-up comments that Journalscape has much better.

     
  • At 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice to see that blogger is finally making some improvements. I like the multiple posts on a page better than the journalscape one, but this comment thing is a tad screwy. As long as you're providing content, that's the important thing.

    --Jeff
    www.syntaxofthings.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home