shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

9.28.2003

many, many things says the sea

It's been awhile, so you can expect random things like Victorian Robots. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm going to try and do this sequentially, but I make no promises or guarantees of coherence.

We did see Underworld and were not surprised one bit by it. It was a fun bit of fluff that lived up to expectations, which were not very high. Christopher liked it because he said it's much more honest than The Matrix about what it is, and what its purpose is. That primarily being that swooshing around in leather trenchcoats with guns is visually stimulating--especially if you play a lot of video games. Actually, he didn't say that last bit, but I think the meaning is mostly accurate. He also says that this is honest in the way of, this is what a certain type of three guys will give you if you give them $20 million and say make a genre movie. Another friend said it was a strange case of interesting backstory with an uninteresting forestory to hang it on, more or less. My main quarrel, that I kept thinking during it, was that the guns bored me. Too many guns. Too loud. And disturbing in many ways that I won't get into here in their gratuity. I would have much preferred fancy, futuristic crossbows, which could have achieved the same kind of "bullet" with far less pow zap. One of the things I always liked best about Buffy was the show's point of view on guns. I just think they're too easy. And yes, again, too loud.

So, that was that movie. I won't tell you not to go see it, and if you're going to, you probably already have anyway. Just keep your expectations at the right level. They did manage to make the werewolves actually scary and besides, Scott Speedman is hot. Just ask Felicity.

Before that movie, I read Scott Westerfeld's forthcoming (March 2004) Midnighters: The Secret Hour, which is a damn fine piece of fiction that I recommend you buy all the teenagers you know and then the adults. It's that good. One of those ripping yarns, characters, world and premise you will get caught up in and want to stay that way. It'll be your new favorite television series, movie AND book--even though it's only a book right now. It's quite wonderful. And there are two more to follow. Scott's science fiction duology, The Risen Empire, is also highly recommended.

On the Netflix front.... Lemme see. There was Identity, which is fun and has John Cusack, but was sillier than I thought it would be. Plus, we figured out the twist too early, I think. But a pleasant flick for a rainy evening in. One of my favorite things I've seen lately actually is COMEDIAN. I'm not a huge Jerry Seinfeld fan, but... I love good stand-up and am fascinated by how it works, and that's what this movie is about and also about having become successful doing something you love and it still being hard, and it still being worth your time to strain at being better at it. To be new and not be easy. It's good. Plus, there are a ton of cameos and bar conversations with other comedians.

Other movies that aren't really worth talking about too much are Solaris (just didn't hang together) and All the Real Girls (which is just too damn slow). Oh, and Laurel Canyon, which I do recommend and found highly enjoyable if for no other reason than that Frances McDormand gets to play the hotty she is. Not every day you get to see a beautiful _woman_ play a beautiful woman. Usually, they get forced into playing girls or crones.

Read Robin McKinley's new book Sunshine, which is a truffle of a book you can savor over a weekend. It has Buffy-esque qualities, and the main character's voice is charming and very funny.

And jeez, that's it for now. Okay. Oh, except, yes, Bill Murray is a god. Sofia Coppola really is that talented. Lost in Translation is a wonderful movie.

And really, that's it, before my hand cramps up. Off to the library to stare out over Phoenix Park and edit. Perhaps, lunch first.

(If you haven't subscribed to One Story yet, you should and you should make sure you get the back issues with "Child Assassin" and "Mr. Lobster" in them.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home