shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

9.20.2003

just in cases

Yesterday's little conversational tidbit, I've discovered, is open to misinterpretation. It's nothing against the Dixie Chicks. I like the Dixie Chicks. It's more about not caring more about the lives of people that are famous than other people's lives.

So, there you go.

Today is a lovely, crisp fall day. We farmer's marketed for a bit, then visited Sam's Hot Dog Stand, a little green and red hole in the wall on South Limestone that we've been curious about for ages and unble to find open. Better than I thought actually, and far less Heart-Stoppingly Bad For You in taste. I got a healthy hot dog and it was still quite good. (Of course, I'm one of those freakish types who was completely brainwashed by the Yuck-Mouth "Don't drown your food!" commercials as a child, and don't get anything on my hot dog. I have a bit of a fear of sauces and goops and things.)

Now, it's library work time. I have my YA manuscript, which I've been reading through this week, and when I finish reading and making notes on what there is so far, then I write the end. I finally figured out why I was holing up in a cave next to where the ending lived, but refusing to go over and introduce myself. It was, oddly enough, a point-of-view issue. You see, I didn't really outline the novel all the way through. I'd just kind of think a few chapters ahead and I knew the major story beats and I knew the end-end but I hadn't really worked out the details. And so I found myself making the plot choices i wanted to, but which were impossible to make work within the first-person POV the book is told from. So, I'm reading everything to get a good sense of momentum, then I'll make a few changes late in the ms. that fix those plot choices and, voila, write the end. Then, my favorite and a just-as-hard-part: the rewrite. The rewrite is easier for me, because you have something to work with. Because you know that there actually is a story there, and it's just your job to make it the best, most engrossing, closest-to-your-intention that it can be. Like I said, not easy but better than facing the void. In my humble opinion, anyway.

Of course, the next bit always feels like it will be easier than the bit you're working on at the moment. It usually isn't.

I'm stalling.

Tonight, a drive-in doublebill -- Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Underworld.

I'm still stalling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home