shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

3.24.2003

Surreal Post Office Moment #539:

"Girl, you look familiar!"

"Did you used to hang out at the place -- you know the one that little blonde who owns the Rosebud used to have -- "

"The Bistro!"

"Yes, the Bistro!"

"Girl, I started singing in country clubs when I was 14 and yeah, that was me!"

"Oh my god!"

"Oh my god is right!"

"It's so good to see you."

"Sorry to interrupt, but I think you sang at my church in Versailles!"

"King's Way. I did, I love that church. I sing for the lord now, I have a lot more peace."

"Oh yeah, when I was partying, back in the '80s, I had the panty hose and the heels and the make-up -- I looked like a 50-year-old when I was 22! Now I don't care, anymore."

"Oh me neither, about the outer, you know, I can dress up when I want to. And anyway, the '80s were a confusing time for me."

"For me too."

...this goes on for a few minutes, discussing the new CD the singer has out, the party days, and then...

"I have to ask you two, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?"

"Uh."

"I know they train you to ask that."

"They do, just last weekend, they told us to witness like that, just go for it. So, are you saved?"

"You know, it's funny you should ask, I was just telling my dad last weekend that I don't need to go to a building to be close to god."

"I get you it's about spirituality, not religion. I'm a minister, you know."

"Yeah, I don't need a building, but I don't talk about politics or religion with anybody, don't take it personal."

"Honey, like I said, it's not religion, it's spirituality."

"Whatever. I don't talk about it with people."

And then the singer ripped open the package she was mailing with her CD in it and signed it to the woman who used to hang out at the Bistro, but now works at Flag Fork Herb Farm because when she worked for the state she had 50 bosses and they send you the e-mails and you can't even do your work and one day she just realized life's too short. The singing minister made the other woman promise to contact her. The third party lady was low priority, but the singing minister just might show up at her church one day soon. She's going to call the brother.

It was like a reunion or something. It was hard not to whirl and look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home