shaken & stirred

welcome to my martini glass

2.24.2005

no. 11 (update with poem)

A friend wrote me and said she thought I should add to the list of ten things, one more item:

11) Once tried to set a poet on fire.

What poet, did I do this? I wrote back. When, where?

She wrote back enough identifying information that I did remember. But 11 must still be amended, however briefly, to:

11) Have forgotten that once I tried to set a poet on fire.

But now I remember. He was a REALLY bad poet. It was in Atlanta.... anyone else remember this?

UPDATE: And my favorite anonymous commenter ever leaves the following poem:

i lift my glass
of port
and tilt it to the north,
and the other cardinal points
and to you,
thinking of
all the things
i have not done
lest
i conjure the waif.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do you consider immolation a fitting punishment for bad poetry in general, or just in this case?

     
  • At 10:59 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Well, he was also really, really obnoxious. I think lots of people wanted to set him on fire. I was the only one with flame.

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Chris McLaren said...

    I believe I also wanted to set that guy on fire... and then Emma distracted me by singing "Down Where The Drunkards Roll" and then gently berating me for not previously knowing Richard Thompson.

     
  • At 11:21 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    Yay, I thought you'd remember.

    I did have the advantage of still being a smoker, which meant ready access to the means. That guy was a travesty of existence.

    I wonder if he has a website.

     
  • At 11:23 AM , Blogger Gwenda said...

    He does! (Well, he's mentioned on a couple.) But I'm afraid to point to it lest I conjure "the waif."

     
  • At 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i lift my glass
    of port
    and tilt it to the north,
    and the other cardinal points
    and to you,
    thinking of
    all the things
    i have not done
    lest
    i conjure the waif.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home